The COVID-19 pandemic has blurred the lines of digital publishing. Because of the universal concern in this public health crisis, magazines who have been traditionally outside of the realm of cultural commentary have been covering experiences, reactions, and solutions for those stuck in quarantines or isolation.
It almost seems as if the Internet was built to facilitate culture in an event like this. For many, entertainment online will not seem like a novelty, but for others, it is helpful to know that those valuable cultural institutions once thought separate from the realm where Facebook and Netflix rules, will occupy the same space for the time being. Museums, classes, even tourism, has moved online to keep a sense of continuity and provide respite from the news cycle.
Many have brought up the negative mental health effects of breaking routine and staying inside, separated physically from society. Initiatives like this can provide a sense of permanence and stability in uncertain times; the continuity of shared culture, knowledge, dreams, and most of all, community, assures us all of the enduring project: humanity.
In that spirit, here is a list of existing online resources and resources from institutions that have, in astonishing time, made culture available online. In the spirit of community, if you know of other resources, please reach out to us and we will be happy to include it.
- The National Film Board’s collection of short and feature-length films
- North Vancouver’s culture compass
- Musqueam Place Names Mapping Portal
- Playbill’s 15 Broadway plays to watch from home.
- 113 Coloring books from Museums from Open Culture
- Six Italian Museums
- Apple’s 5 hour tour of the Hermitage in Russia.
- Classes from Toronto’s gyms
- Smithsonian Museum of Natural History virtual tours
- Musicians like John Legend are streaming concerts online
- The Budapest Festival Orchestra’s “Quarantine Soiree”
- The Virtual Museum of Canada
- Virtual Tours Of The Montreal Museum Of Fine Arts
- Facebook live performance by all-female Comedy group Notflix
- Stream Stratford Festival performances on CBC
- The Metropolitan Opera audio streaming
- 2,500 museums with virtual tours
- Fender is offering tutorials free for two weeks
- Online Cooking Classes with Gucci Osteria’s Massimo Bottura
- Drawing lessons by famous illustrators
- Quarantine ebooks
Never miss a story. Sign up for NUVO’s weekly newsletter here.