NUVO magazine is Canada’s authority on the exceptional—a combination of style and purpose, we feature and profile people, places, and possessions. We share our readers’ sensibilities in travel, food and wine, fashion, art, design, jewellery, architecture, horology, and automotive.
Founder & Publisher
Social Media Editor
Director of Sales, Marketing, & Distribution
Distribution & Office Assistant
Designer, NUVO and MONTECRISTO Magazine
TO APPLY PLEASE SEND PORTFOLIO, COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO firstname.lastname@example.org.
The designer reports to the art director of NUVO and MONTECRISTO magazines, which are based in Vancouver. Duties focus on supporting the art director and art team of both magazines. Applicants must be able to work in Vancouver.
- Design layouts for print and marketing materials.
- Design digital assets for NUVO and MONTECRISTO websites.
- Assist with production, prepare and distribute post-production files, and resize print art for the web.
- Design and post online stories using HTML/CSS.
- Collaborate with editorial, production, and marketing departments.
- Ensure NUVO and MONTECRISTO branding and design standards are maintained internally and externally.
- Help conduct photo research.
- Assist with commission of illustrations and communicate with illustrators to maintain project schedules.
- Work directly with the art director on all aspects of photo shoot production, including commissioning teams and liaising with vendors, to ensure that the shoot is successful and falls within budget.
- Act as a production assistant on photo shoots when needed.
- Conduct photo research for features.
- Assist with visual direction for print-to-web production.
- Provide assets for web crops and web clips as needed.
- Maintain a contributor database.
- Execute creative team’s administrative tasks, including processing invoices.
Skills and qualifications:
- 2+ years of design experience in publishing, media, or relevant field.
- Proficient in creating graphic elements, layouts, and spreads to spec for publishing, mobile, and online.
- Excellent creative and visual conceptualization, written and verbal communication skills.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, evolving, dynamic environment.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-sufficient and resourceful.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Professional demeanour with ability to interact at all levels within the organization.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
Distribution and Office Assistant, NUVO and MONTECRISTO Magazine (full-time, permanent position)
TO APPLY PLEASE SEND COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO email@example.com
This is an ideal position for those who are dynamic and detail-oriented and desire to grow their skills in a professional environment. As you will be the hub of all departments, it is a unique opportunity to experience the growing world of media.
- Distribution services: customer service via phone and e-mail to readers and distribution partners, including database management using a customer relationship management system while maintaining a high standard of organization.
- Reception services: scheduling couriers and shipping, answering and forwarding phone calls, managing office supplies, reconciliation, digital filing and greeting a few visitors while following protocols of workplace plan.
- Marketing: outreach to current and new readers via email marketing, direct mail and within customer journey; data analysis of ongoing distribution and marketing activities; outreach to new distribution partners
Skills and qualifications:
- Outstanding organizational and communication skills, especially when simultaneously working with various team members and tasks
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to think creatively
- Ability to work well independently and take direction from multiple team members while meeting deadlines
- Advanced Microsoft Office abilities especially Excel
- Experience with WordPress, WooCommerce, UX design, digital marketing, and e-commerce an asset
This position is in-person at our Vancouver office Monday to Friday. Full-time team members can opt-into the extended health benefit program.
We thank all those that take the time to apply, only those that have successfully moved on to the next phase of our recruitment process will be contacted.
NUVO is the recognized leader in the prestige media marketplace and has been awarded both editorial and printing honours. NUVO’s most recent honours are listed below.
Folio: Eddie Awards
2019 Honorable Mention for Best Single Article in a Consumer Magazine, Fashion & Beauty for “Sport Mode” from the Spring 2019 issue.
2015 Finalist for Consumer – Website – General Interest (NUVOmagazine.com).
2014 Finalist for Consumer – Website – General Interest (NUVOmagazine.com).
Folio: Ozzie Awards
2018 Honorable Mention for Best Cover Design for Summer 2017 cover featuring Christina Ricci.
2017 Honorable Mention for Best Use of Photography for “Hunger for Gold” from the winter 2016 issue.
2008 Bronze Ozzie for Best Cover Design for the spring 2008 cover featuring Sandra Oh.
Digital Publishing Awards
Nominated for Best Personal Essay for “Family Circus” from NUVOmagazine.com, 2016.
Toronto Gallery of Superb Printing Awards
Gold Award for Superb Craftsmanship category for the winter 2015 issue.
P&G Beauty and Grooming Award
Finalist for Best Magazine Cover for the summer 2012 cover featuring Elijah Wood. Finalist for Best Art Direction.
Printing Industries of America’s Premier Print Awards
Certificate of Merit in the Extremely High Quality category for the spring 2012 issue.
Certificate of Merit in the Extremely High Quality category for the summer, autumn, and winter 2011 issues.
National Magazine Awards
Nominated for Best Still-Life Photography for “Neoteric” from the winter 2013 issue.
Nominated for Best Fashion Editorial for “Lucid Dreams” from the autumn 2013 issue.
Silver Award Winner for Best Still-Life Photography for “Propped” from the winter 2011 issue.
Western Magazine Awards
Finalist for Best Photographic Feature or Series for “Mirror Mirror” from the spring 2011 issue.
The Benny Award
Best Printed Magazine in North America.
Since its inception, NUVO has been committed to producing a high-quality magazine, in content and production. As an innovator in the magazine industry, NUVO upholds the core values of environmental sustainability.
NUVO is committed to working with our printing partner, Hemlock Printers, to remove virtually all aspects of environmental concern from the printing process and develop a system at the forefront of sustainable practices. This includes:
- Producing NUVO through a printer who is certified FSC Chain-of-Custody and Green-e, carbon neutral in its operations, and ranked second in Canopy’s Blueline Ranking of North America’s top printers for engagement on forest conservation and support of next-generation paper fibre solutions
- Printing NUVO with FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified paper products guided by the printer’s comprehensive Ancient and Endangered Forest Purchasing Policy
- Reducing prepress waste (film and attendant chemicals) by using our printer’s CTP (Computer To Plate) system
- Utilizing alcohol-free presses with an environmentally friendly alcohol substitute and etch material
- Recycling blanket wash fluid and reusing 50 per cent of this liquid, with the remainder undergoing wastewater treatment
- Recycling NUVO’s work-in-process paper materials and printing plates
NUVO follows and engages with environmentally and socially responsible initiatives. Our in-office recycling program diverts materials from the landfill back into reuse. NUVO uses Mohawk Options paper that is 100 per cent FSC-certified and manufactured with renewable, nonpolluting, wind-generated electricity.